Prebiotic Snacks for Kids
At last, the heat of the summer has broken. All the children have returned to their various learning environments, the days are starting to shorten as we transition into fall, and new rhythms are getting established for this new season. As the children make new friends, adjust to prior sleep schedules, and perhaps get less sunshine and fresh air than they did over the summer, maintaining a balanced gut microbiome is going to be even more important to maintain good immune function. And one delicious way to do this is by incorporating prebiotic snacks into their daily routine.
If you missed our previous blog on the importance of prebiotics, you can catch the full version here.
Busy? TLDR summary:
- indigestible dietary compounds, often as specific carbohydrates
- act as nourishment for the beneficial microorganisms (probiotics) living within the gut
Here are some wholesome snack suggestions rich in prebiotics that your children (and you!) can enjoy:
- Nectarines, pears
- Apples with the peel
- Pistachios & almonds
- Jicama with guacamole
- Plantain chips
- Avocado chocolate pudding featuring cocoa powder & honey (check this recipe out)
- Cup of lentil soup
- Mama Chia pouches
- Mega Pre pouches
- Barnana Organic Plantain Chips
- Gutzy Squeeze Pouches
- Roasted Chickpeas
- Orchard Valley Chickpea Chips
- Barnana Organic Chewy Banana Bites
- Wallaby Greek organic no sugar added whole milk yogurt (if dairy is tolerated)
By including these prebiotic-rich snacks in your diets, you’re not only nourishing your bodies but also nurturing your gut bugs.
As we shift into fall, let’s prioritize holistic well-being for our kids, ensuring they have the tools they need to thrive in both health and academics.