Nutrition | Emotional & Physical Health | Community
Depression and anxiety don’t discriminate, and when they appear, they can hit hard.
Postpartum mood and anxiety symptoms negatively impact mom and baby’s physical and emotional health, relationships with family and friends, and employment.
Currently the standard help for depressed or anxious moms, both prenatally and postpartum, includes therapy and/or medications. I don’t think this is enough. We can do more to help moms find relief, and even divert symptoms before they happen!
What causes postpartum depression and anxiety?
Factors such as nutrition and nutrient deficiencies, poor gut health, genetics, prior trauma history, prior mental health history, inadequate exercise, poor sleep, and low social support all can negatively impact mood and anxiety during pregnancy, and subsequently, during the postpartum period.
What if there was a supportive program to help you assess your unique set of risk factors and then intervene safely during pregnancy?
Mindful Matters in Pregnancy (MMP)
I created Mindful Matters in Pregnancy after my own experience of debilitating postpartum depression. MMP is a novel, evidence-based program spanning prenatal and postpartum periods for women predisposed to developing postpartum mood and anxiety symptoms. It is unique because it looks for the risk factors for each individual that may contribute to developing mental health issues down the road, and seeks to resolve them before they happen or lessen symptoms if they are already occurring.
The result? A group of fellow women experiencing a powerful set of tips and tools together that will help you feel happier and calmer, so you can truly enjoy the sweetness of this time in your life!
How It Works
- 14-session group program held online
- 10 group discussion sessions – various topics that promote optimal mental health
- 4 cook-along sessions – start stocking your freezer to get ready for postpartum
- View program schedule here
- Meet from end of first trimester through first few months of postpartum period
- Gain practical tools and skills to promote mental health
- Enjoy a small, intimate community of mamas
- Healthy, nutrient-rich diet to support pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Physical activity and movement
- Tips and tricks to maintain blood sugar
- Getting refreshing sleep
- Self-care, coping, and stress management (yes, even when baby comes!)
- Social supports and setting realistic expectations
- Cook-alongs featuring recipes such as easy homemade probiotic pickles, sheet pan herbed chicken and veggies, salmon cakes with greens, bone broth, and chocolate clusters.
Benefits to Program Graduates
- Happier, calmer mama + baby
- Easier labor + postpartum period
- Solidarity with your group of women
- Improved nutritious diet and lifestyle habits
- Coping and stress management tools
- A stocked freezer postpartum
- Lifelong cooking skills
Plus BONUSES! Worth over $500 in value!
- Companion Workbook with worksheets and handouts full of tips, tricks, and tools to help incorporate new habits, including snack ideas, how to determine healthy food choices, how to create a sleep sanctuary, and more!
- Recipe Book with instructions and material lists to go alongside cooking lessons,
- Ongoing food journal analyses, the same analyses given to our private 1:1 coaching clients,
- Private FaceBook group with other program participants to continue conversations and build community,
- Access to monthly live “Office Hours” drop-in sessions, where you can get your general nutrition and health questions answered,
- Opportunity to add on up to 3 discounted 1:1 coaching sessions to be used during the program,
- Opportunity to take advantage of food sensitivity testing during the program (purchase of 1, 1:1 coaching session also required to review results),
- Special guests at select group sessions,
- Recorded sessions to re-view at your leisure, and
- Other surprise bonuses!
When Do We Start?
The first group will be starting in June 2021, and we will soon begin enrolling!
Women that will be around the end of first/beginning of the second trimester are encouraged to enroll. The program continues through the “fourth” trimester of the postpartum period.
Anticipated birth due date for the first group: February 2022.
Discussion: topic overview, how to use the information, emotional support amongst participants.
Select Thursdays from 6-7:30 pm CST online (Zoom).
Cook-alongs: live cooking instruction; material lists provided ahead. See menus below; support provided to modify recipes to meet dietary needs.
Select Sundays from 2-4 pm CST online (Zoom).
Cook-along 1: Easy Fermented Veggies – brine, New York style deli cucumber pickles, pickled mixed vegetables, and El Salvadorian sauerkraut
Cook-along 2: Oven Skills – sheet pan herbed chicken and vegetables, frittata, and Paleo zucchini bread with chocolate chips
Cook-along 3: Cooktop Skills – salmon cakes with mixed greens, vinaigrette, quick garlic vegetable sauté, and chocolate nut and seed clusters
Cook-along 4: Stocking the Freezer – bone broth, lentil soup, turkey patties, and pesto chicken thighs
*Menus subject to change based on need
Sign Me Up!
MMP will soon begin enrolling the summer 2021 cohort!
To learn more, sign up for a free info session.
Not ready to join us yet? Interested in future program variations, such as an abbreviated program for pregnant moms (no cooking lessons) or for all adults?
Be the first to know about future opportunities by signing up for email updates!
I sincerely hope you join me for this unique and innovative experience during your pregnancy/early postpartum period!