Let’s celebrate another year around the sun with this nourishing and luxurious whipped body butter! Applying it to the face will give a gentle bronzed look.
Reminiscent of Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies, this is not only a great gift for yourself, but loved ones as well.
Chocolate Peppermint Whipped Body Butter
Adapted from Mommypotamus
Yield: ~ 3 cups, or 6, 4-oz jars
- 1/2 C organic cocoa butter
- 1/2 C organic mango butter or shea butter
- 1/2 C coconut oil
- 1/2 C jojoba oil, or mild olive oil, or almond oil
- 1-2 tsp peppermint essential oil (optional; not safe for kids under age 8)
- 5 tsp cocoa or cacao powder OR cornstarch or arrowroot powder (for “white chocolate”)
- 2 tsp vitamin E (optional; extends shelf life)
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice and fitting a smaller bowl inside. The inside bowl needs to be able to hold at least 4-5 cups of liquid.
- Using a double boiler or a pot of boiling water with a smaller pot fitted inside, melt cocoa butter and mango/shea butter over a low simmer.
- Add coconut oil and melt until completely liquid.
- Remove cocoa butter/coconut oil mixture from heat.
- Add cocoa powder/arrowroot into a small bowl and gradually add several tablespoons of jojoba/almond/olive oil. Mix thoroughly and then add to cocoa butter/coconut oil mixture along with remaining jojoba/almond/olive oil.
- Place mixture in chilled bowl (which should still be resting above the ice bowl) and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Remove mixture from ice bath and whip until stiff peaks form. If after a few minutes it does not seem to be thickening, return the bowl to the ice bath and whip there.
- Store in an airtight jar – amber or cobalt are best but a clear mason jar is fine if kept out of direct sunlight (which promotes oxidation).