Nothing could be more soothing than a warm bath. Except perhaps a warm bath that also helps cleanse and nourish your body.
The secret ingredient to enhanced relaxation and rejuvenation? Epsom salt. Epsom salt may look like Kosher salt, and may only be made of magnesium, sulfur, and oxygen, but this combination gives Epsom salt its super powers!
Magnesium deficiency is one of the common nutrient deficiencies in Americans today. This mineral is responsible for regulating over 300 enzymes and reactions in the body, including energy production and the relaxation of anything tight in your body and mind.
Many forms of magnesium are difficult to absorb when taken orally, especially for those with a damaged gut. Since Epsom salts are absorbed through the skin, they bypass the gut, improving the likelihood of their absorption.
Epsom Salt Benefits
- Relieves stress
- Decreases muscle aches and joint pains
- Improves circulation
- Alleviates headaches
- Aids in mineral absorption
- Supports a good night’s rest
- Increases skin hydration
Ready to take a dip into ultimate relaxation?
Magnesium Salt Bath Recipe
- 1-2 cups of Epsom salt (unscented and additive-free)
- 10-15 drops of essential oil of choice
- 1-2 cups baking soda for extra luxury
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients. This keeps the essential oils from floating to the top and potentially burning your skin.
- Pour the mixture into a warm bath. Swirl them around with your hand to allow the ingredients to evenly disperse throughout the water.
- Get into the bath, lie back, and relax for at least 20 minutes to allow the ingredients to absorb into your skin.
Pro tips, for extra indulgence:
- Play some soothing music
- Turn the lighting down or off and light a candle
- Lock the door so you can’t be disturbed
- Grab a juicy book
- Have cold fruit-infused water (cucumber or lemon are easy options) or a calming tea (chamomile is great!)