Functional Holistic Nutritionist
Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition
Applied Functional Medicine Certification
Founder & Owner, Food With Thought Nutrition
Hi! I’m Amy, a Functional Holistic Nutritionist that uses food and lifestyle changes to help you fix your gut so you can thrive without digestive distress.
After practicing for years as an outpatient therapist treating clients with mental health issues and trauma histories, I became disillusioned with the talk therapy model. Despite clients’ hard work in therapy, symptom relief was inadequate and I suspected there was something more to their symptoms. I just didn’t understand what it was. In 2011, I took a mental health break from counseling and went to culinary school. Having grown up eating whole foods, I was shocked to learn how much processed, sugary foods Americans were consuming daily and wondered how this impacted their health.
Soon after becoming a pastry chef, my son was born. As an infant he was diagnosed with failure to thrive, multiple food allergies, and reflux. He woke up 6-8 times on any given night. Despite two years of working with several providers, his health wasn’t adequately improving. I developed insomnia and became depressed. Fed up and desperate, I enrolled in nutrition school, determined to learn enough to help him. I not only discovered what had contributed to my son’s poor (gut) health, but has came to understand why talk therapy often isn’t enough. My son is currently thriving and my own health has never been better. And after years of gut and emotional healing, my daughter was born thriving and with 0 food issues.
In my spare time I enjoy experimenting with new recipes, gardening & hiking with my family, traveling, reading, and taking my office manager/pet macaw, Marigold, for walks.
- Hawthorn University, MSHN, Holistic Nutrition, Summa cum laude
- Thesis: Supporting Postpartum Mental Health Through Nutrition and Lifestyle Interventions During the Prenatal Period
- School of Applied Functional Medicine, Level 1, Level 2, AFMC Certification, Incubator Program, Platinum Inner Circle Mentorship Group
- Ongoing coursework in topics such as hormones, digestive health, parasites, heavy metals and detox, metabolic function, functional lab testing, hair testing and mineral balance, genetics, etc.
- Clinical Mentorship with Dr. Liz Lipski
- Collin County Community College, Certificates in Culinary & Pastry Arts
- Columbia University School of Social Work, MSSW, Heath, Mental Health, and Disabilities in Clinical Practice
- Tufts University, BA, Clinical Psychology, Magna cum laude
Affiliations, Certifications, & Other Professional Activities
- School of Applied Functional Medicine (SAFM), Clinical Education Team
- Phoebe Prenatal & Postpartum Support, Nutrition Expert
- Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition (BCHN)
- Applied Functional Medicine Certification (AFMC)
- Certified Gluten-Free Practitioner (CGP)
- Certified Dietary Supplement Professional (CDSP)
- National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP), Professional Member
- Weston A. Price Foundation, Member
- Trauma-informed, airway-informed, mental health-informed
To learn more about the rest of the Functional Health Coaching Team.
Learn more about how functional medicine and holistic nutrition change your life.